This knowledge help article will explain to you what is dark mode and its history of it. And what are the free solutions to improve our web and desktop experience?
What is dark mode
Are you wondering what is Dark Mode? What is Dark Mode, is the name that brings the background in a darker color. And the text on brighter color. For example, the background is black and the text is white.
On the web (as a website developer or webmaster), it is also known as a CSS dark scheme for the website developer that can customize the website in his own stylesheet for that certain model. While the CSS light version is the light scheme stylesheet.
Long before the web exists and we have smartphones in our pockets. In the years of the ’70s and ’80s since the first computer was not for the public. The display interface was on a black background, and with text in green bright color. The assistant or the computer manager must type commands in this dark terminal to execute his work. The display device or monitor was even the biggest attribute on the table.
After those years, computers and color screen monitors are created at the beginning of the ’90 years. And until the mid-’90s the first flat-panel color LCDs started to appear.
The start of using the Dark Mode was since the mobile device such as iPhone and Android. And developers such as Google created the Dark Mode version of their operating system. And so do the web merge also to this new industry standard to create a light and dark stylesheet of his website.
The pro and cons of Dark Mode
You can get serious benefits if your screen is OLED. Because using black background on an OLED screen can hugely increase the battery life of your device. Such as your smartphone. Because with this latest display screen technology it will not burn the mini lamps because it is turned off. As the screen must not enable, and not provide any power to these mini lamps. Or better called led lights.
If you have just a LED, then it will provide power to this lamp. That is to show you the black pixel on the screen.
When browsing the web late at night, it is comfortable and healthy to not have a shining light source on your face. That will create your Eye strain. But in terms of readability, when you want to read a text. Ensuring that there is a higher contrast between text and background. Because according to a study from the University of British Columbia is best to have a white paper background with the text in black as the color. That makes it for your eyes very easy to find and read the text faster.
10 Benefits of using Dark Mode
Now you know what is dark mode. Here are the benefits:
- Dark mode can reduce eye strain, as it decreases the amount of bright blue light that emits from your screen.
- Dark mode can prolong battery life, as your phone’s display uses less power when it’s displaying darker colors.
- Dark mode can make it easier to fall asleep after using your phone, as the blue light from your display can cause difficulty sleeping.
- Dark mode can make text easier to read, as the darker background helps to contrast the text.
- Dark mode can help to reduce screen glare, as the darker colors help to reduce the amount of light that is reflected off of your screen.
- Dark mode can make your phone’s display look bigger, as the darker colors help to create the illusion of a larger display.
- Dark mode can help to reduce screen flickering, as the darker colors help to reduce the amount of backlight that is required.
- Dark mode can help to reduce blue light exposure, as the darker colors help to absorb more blue light.
- Dark mode can help to reduce headaches and migraines, as the darker colors help to reduce eye strain.
- Dark mode can help to reduce stress and anxiety, as the darker colors help to create a more calming environment.
FREE Dark Mode for all desktop web browsers (PC and Mac)
Not all websites are showing you the dark mode website, but if you want to get dark mode on all websites today in your favorite web browser. You can get and install the free Turn Off the Lights browser extension. And enable in the Options page Night Mode feature. It is available for Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera, Maxthon, Yandex, Brave, Vivaldi, Naver Whale, and Microsoft Edge.
Furthermore, the Turn Off the Lights browser extension is the only browser extension that is also Open-Source on all web browsers. That includes iOS and macOS.
See this YouTube video tutorial on how you can enable this feature.
FREE Steps to activate Dark Mode (iOS web browser)
If you want to keep it always enabled in our Safari web browser on iOS and iPadOS. See this YouTube video tutorial on how to enable the Night Owl feature:
Hope that answers one of your questions about what is Dark Mode:
- What is Dark Mode?
- What are the benefits to get Dark Mode?
- Activate dark mode for a website?
- How do I make a website in Dark Mode?
- What can be customized in the Dark Mode theme creator?
If you find it useful to get your knowledge about what is Dark Mode, then you can share the link on Facebook or share the link on Twitter. So your family, friends, or colleagues can know about this handy free tool.
Did you find technical, factual or grammatical errors on the Turn Off the Lights website?
You can report a technical problem using the Turn Off the Lights online technical error feedback form.