What is YouTube?
YouTube is a video-sharing platform that allows users to upload, share, and view videos. It was created in the year 2005 by three former PayPal employees. That by de Steve Chen, Chad Hurley, and Jawed Karim. And was later acquired by the company Google in the year 2006. YouTube is headquartered in San Bruno, California. And it is currently owned by Google. Furthermore, it is the second most visited website, after Google Search. That is with over 2 billion monthly active users.
YouTube offers a variety of products and features, including:
- YouTube: The main video-sharing platform where users can upload, share, and view videos.
- YouTube Music: A music streaming service that allows users to listen to music, discover new songs, and create playlists.
- YouTube TV: A live TV streaming service that offers access to over 70+ channels of live TV, including local sports and news.
- YouTube Kids: A version of YouTube designed specifically for children, with content that is appropriate for young audiences.
- YouTube Gaming: A dedicated platform for gaming videos, live streams, and communities.
- YouTube Creator Studio: A tool that allows creators to manage their channel, upload videos, and track performance statistics.
- YouTube Studio: A tool for creators to manage their channel and track performance metrics, upload videos and live streams, moderate comments, and more.
- YouTube VR: A virtual reality experience that allows users to watch YouTube videos in a 360-degree immersive environment.
- YouTube Premium: A paid subscription service that offers ad-free videos, access to YouTube Originals, and the ability to download videos for offline viewing.
- YouTube Shorts: A short-form video creation tool that allows users to create and share 15-second videos using music and other creative tools.
- YouTube Live: A live streaming feature that allows users to broadcast live events and interact with viewers in real-time.
- YouTube Music Premium: A paid subscription service that offers ad-free music streaming, offline listening, and the ability to play songs and albums on demand.
- YouTube TV Premium: A paid subscription service that offers additional features and benefits for YouTube TV subscribers, such as unlimited DVR, access to additional channels, and more.
- YouTube Studio App: A mobile app that allows creators to manage their channel and track performance metrics, upload videos and live streams, moderate comments, and more on the go.
One of the features that YouTube offers is the ability to enable a “dark mode” on the website. This feature changes the background color of the website from white to black, making it easier on the eyes when viewing videos in low-light environments. Additionally, it can also help to save battery life on mobile devices.
There is two way to get YouTube Dark Mode enabled in your favorite web browser. The first is the official YouTube Dark Mode theme which provides no way to customize it to your personal style. And the other option is from the Turn Off the Lights browser extension using the Night Mode feature (that works on all websites). This Night Mode option provides you with the ultimate and most advanced way to customize each element on the web page to your dark color style. So you have a comfortable watching experience (that day and night).
YouTube Dark Mode (less customizable option)
To get the official YouTube Dark Mode, follow the steps here below on how to enable the Dark Mode:
- Open the YouTube website
- Click on your avatar profile icon (on the top right of your screen)
- A new panel shows up and select the Dark Mode toggle to on
Now when you watch a YouTube video, you see it has a dark background and bright text color. And there is no way to customize it to your favorite dark color, and no way to make the background 100% black.
YouTube Dark Mode (most customizable option)
To get a harmonious dark style on all websites and that on YouTube and many of your other favorite websites. You can use the free and Open-Source Turn Off Lights browser extension and enable the Night Mode feature. With this powerful feature, it converts the website stylesheet from the default bright color to your chosen dark color theme.
- Download the Turn Off the Lights browser extension
- Click right on the gray lamp button, and choose the menu item Options
- The Turn Off the Lights Options page shows up, and select now the tab Night Mode
- Enable the first checkbox to see the night switch on all websites OR the option for the long press to activate/disable the Night Mode on the current web page
Furthermore, you can choose here your favorite dark color for your website background, text, and hyperlink. And it will match this style on all your favorite and most visited websites.
YouTube dims the lights (and not the HTML5 video player)
The last way is to dim the current web page and highlight only the playing HTML5 video. That will make you focus and concentrate more and better on the video content. And not to thumbnails or the ads around this video player. That will create a distraction from your playing HTML5 video. You can add dim light with a translucent dark layer on top, but you can also decrease or increase the layer up to 100%. So it will be visible as a 100% solid black background with the video on top of this dark layer.
In addition, there are many other great and useful options you can enable to get more out of the video website. Such as controlling the volume with the scroll of your mouse wheel or trackpad scroll, Glow effects around the playing video, Dynamic Background, Video filter to bring the video to black and white color, creating a snapshot of the current frame in the video player and edit it live, Eye Protection feature, etc.
Hope this answer one of your questions:
- How to get the YouTube Dark Mode Chrome extension
- How to get the YouTube Dark Theme Chrome extension
- How to enable the YouTube Night Mode Chrome extension
- How to enable the YouTube Night Theme Chrome extension
- How to enable lights off on the YouTube Chrome extension
- How to get the YouTube dark mode Windows 10
- How to get the YouTube dark mode Chromebook
The Turn Off the Lights browser extension is available for all web browsers for free, and that includes Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera, Brave, Vivaldi, Naver, Whale, and Microsoft Edge. It is an Open-Source browser extension that helps you get the best video and web experience like never seen and done before. Get it Now!
Complete Story Overview
If you find it useful to get your YouTube in Dark Mode, then you can share the link on Facebook or share the link on Twitter. So your family, friends, or colleagues can know about this handy free tool.
Did you find technical, factual or grammatical errors on the Turn Off the Lights website?
You can report a technical problem using the Turn Off the Lights online technical error feedback form.