Many users are watching daily videos on his favorite video platform such as YouTube, Dailymotion, etc. And all the video contents are coming from a company or individual that uploading videos to that video platform. But it is possible they do not get the correct video quality, and then you see these pixelated and crummy blocks on your screen. And that can happen to all Google videos in your Chrome web browser. Even if you download the video file with this low quality.
Steps to fix how to fix the bad video quality
1. Update your Google Chrome web browser
The best feature of the Google Chrome web browser is that it updates automatically in the background when you browse on the internet. However, you can force the update checker by following the steps here below:
- Open your Google Chrome web browser and click on the 3 dots icon, and select the menu item Help, and select the item About Google Chrome. A new page will show up in your tab strip. But you can also open this page manually by typing this address Chrome://help in the Omnibox.
- Then it automatically checks if you are using the latest version, and if not it updates and installs this directly that new version. When done, Click Relaunch after the browser update.
2. Check the video resolution settings on YouTube
To get automatically the highest video quality, you can use the free and most popular Turn Off the Lights Chrome extension (also available for
It is one of the best
3. Disable the Hardware Acceleration
When you are playing a video it is possible you see a green screen or flashing elements. Or your video is stuttering when it is playing in your Chrome web browser. This is often caused by the Chrome hardware acceleration. You can enhance this video experience by disabling the Hardware Acceleration feature in the Chrome settings page.
Here the steps on how to disable the Hardware Acceleration in your Google Chrome web browser:
1. Open your Google Chrome web browser, and click on the 3 dots icon.
2. Click on the menu item Settings.
3. The Chrome settings page shows up in a new tab, and at the bottom of the page click on the link Advanced.
3. Scroll now down until you see the topic System.
4. And here you can disable the Hardware Acceleration feature.
5. Restart your Chrome web browser to finalize this setting change.
4. Website video file issue
This is very rare. And it is sometimes possible, that the source where you watch that video file is damaged or the link is broken. Or the terms of service removed that file from his website. So then it is best to contact the owner of that website to report this file issue.
Now you can enjoy back the comfortable video experience you wanted. That such as video hosting on YouTube.
Bad video quality FAQ
Do the steps work also for my other Chromium web browser such as Microsoft Edge?
Yes, the Microsoft Edge web browser use the same engine as the Google Chrome web browser. And is using also the Chromium engine. So the steps are the same to successful solve this video quality problem in your Microsoft Edge web browser.
Can I choose the video high definition quality I want to see?
Yes, you can choose manually the high definition quality you want to see. You can choose between 720p, 1080, 4K, 5K, and 8K.
Is there an option to block YouTube 60 fps?
Yes, if you install the free and most popular Turn Off the Lights Browser extension you can diable all the 60 frame per second YouTube videos.
Do the AutoHD works also for the YouTube embedded video player?
Yes, the Turn Off the Lights browser extension is for all websites, and automatically change the YouTube embedded video quality to your preference.
Do you found technical, factual and grammatical errors on the Turn Off the Lights website?
You can report a technical problem using the Turn Off the Lights online technical error feedback form.